Thursday, September 15, 2011

Her Untold Story

Before I left the library I went back to the counter seeking information about this untold story. After asking my question, the man behind the counter candidly ask me a question, " Why do you want to know about this woman?" Ok I thought this was odd coming from a person who works at the library. My inside voice said," Isn't this a place where a person can seek knowledge? Just for moment I thought I was in another city. But I forgot this type of stuff happens in New Orleans.
I quickly said in a direct way, "To my knowledge I don't recall reading in high school books on African American history mention a color woman own a plantation in New Orleans, Louisiana. That's why! I said.
In a firm voice he replied, "She was my great great grandmother." I'm looking at him saying to myself, "Lord, this is going to be good story  because this man is white as a lamb."

He goes on to give me little bit of information about his great great grandfather's plantation. Truthfully by the conversation I having with him, I believe he was more interest of knowing his great great grandfather side of the family and his misfortunes. I felt he really wasn't interested in the African American side of the family at all. But the information he gather on his great great grandmother being a slave from Virginia was the start to my journey of finding a Cerole Queen.

Not only this was a sad moment to know he wasn't interest in knowing a piece of American history left to discover. No doubt there's a beautiful story here of his great great grandmother being loved by his great great grandfather.

And the story get more interesting as I walk over two blocks to City Hall to the Historic District Landmarks Commission. You won't believe what I found out next.

No comments:

Post a Comment