Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Inspire To Know More

As I continue to read the book, I realize how much history Uptown district possess in New Orleans. Maybe that's why I like to ride the tolley car looking at the beautiful homes displaying a throw back moment in history of love and hate.   I look slowly at the marvelously rich architect of the homes inside the book that also capture the same essence of love and hate too.

As I turn one page after another page the words inside the book bounce on me like a jaguar which had stop me in my track to read these words, "Even free women of color participate in this economic feminization. Winnefred (Winny) Hubbard a free black, commanded a considerable fortune. Although illiterate (she signed all documents with an X) Winnfred Hubbard owned Peachtree Orchard Plantation on Bayou Barataria and a house, now replaced, on Prytania Street."

Not only these words shook my soul like bag of chicken to be fried. My soul stood still reading  about a African American woman owned large amount of property known as a plantation but she didn't have any type of former education.
Ok! where was this information listed inside the Louisiana History books when I attended school as little girl.

Wow! I tried my best to not stare at the book with amazement that someone would realized I just found a piece of gold relating to Louisiana history which have been missing for years. I knew in my soul it was time to tell the life story of Mrs.Winnefred Hubbard.

So, I was inspire to know more about this Cerole Queen who command over a large amount of  land when history dictates color people were property and their value worth as human was the same as livestock.

No comments:

Post a Comment